Are You Safe When Working Online?When online working is what earns you a living, you are always glued to your computer. The computer forms a media through which you generate your income. I have provided you with some important secrets that will ensure security in your freelance writing online work.
1. Ensure your system is protected by adding an anti-virus software An antivirus is a very significant tool that will make sure your computer system is secure from all kinds of malware attacks. Malware attacks can come from anywhere be it connecting an infected USB device to your computer, opening internet files that contain viruses or opening links that are prone to spread the virus. The antivirus will identify and separate any virus that may infect your system, preventing it from affecting your system and stored files.
2. Use a backup media alwaysYou may buy an external hard drive or use a backup system. Ensure you update your hard drive every time with copies of your stored files so that they are saved for a long period of time. Saving these copies to your external hard drives enables you to have access to your files even after your computer crashes or after a system failure.
You can imagine how it can be frustrating to lose 20,000 files of work at once since you had not backed up. You can schedule to update your hard drive with copies of your files daily or once per week.
Ensure your computer is free from viruses before connecting your hard drive always as this may corrupt the copies of your saved files. Another idea is to password protect your personal information.
3. Keep your system updated always Ensure you install any important updates to your computer as soon as they are available. Many of the victims who were affected by the WannaCry malware attack had not installed a security patch that had already been released that would have barred the attack from infecting their systems. They had not updated their computer system. Make sure you update your system on a regular basis or turn on an automatic update on your computer system if possible.
4. Use a Virtual Private Network(VPN)A VPN provides a shield between your computer and any vulnerable malware attacks that may spread via the internet. This technique helps to hide your IP address making it difficult for anyone to know where you are accessing the internet from. A VPN also allows you to access websites that are restricted in your country by removing location- based limitations. By allowing access to restricted sites, a VPN makes it easy for you to handle different work from different clients from all over the world. Ensure you install the right VPN for your operating system for a better outcome. You may also read the advantages of using a VPN.
5. Ensure your passwords are safe You should not share your passwords with anyone. Share your passwords only with people you can trust if needs are but make sure they don’t become careless and share it with other people. Avoid writing your passwords on papers or even saving them on your computer. Use different passwords for different sites, making sure you change them frequently.
Create a new account for other users on the computer to prevent them from requesting your login details. This will prevent them from accessing your programs thus keeping your programs safe from unauthorized access.
6. Be vigilant on Social MediaMany writers manage more than two social media accounts. This means that a writer has a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram as well as LinkedIn accounts. If one or all is hacked, you are more likely to be affected together by all your followers and fans. Ensure you are careful about the people you network with and that you are the only one who can access your social media accounts. Not all people you interact with are genuine, some are scams. Find out why Twitter is regarded as the best social media platform.
These tips will reduce the possibility of a malware attack on your computer as well as prevent any damage to your files as much as possible. Your passwords must be strong enough so that no one can guess what you use as your passwords. Create strong passwords by using at least some numbers, upper letters, and symbols if possible. Your passwords should not contain less than 8 characters. Ensure you change your passwords on a regular basis. Note that the above tips can be applied both to your computer as well as to protect your mobile devices from any device that connects to the internet is more exposed to hackers.