Every time you download files, browse the internet, uninstall programs, install programs, and leave programs active. Also, any other unnecessary activities on your computer, slowly gather junk and cause background problems that are not easy to recognize. Disk Frag is another big causer to slow performance. Sometimes the problem can be a slow internet connection but a computer speed test done every now and then, can mean it’s time to take the next step and follow the steps below.
1. Remove Viruses, Malware, Spyware, and Adware
It is very important to get rid of viruses on your computer. Every Windows machine is vulnerable to viruses. However, there are no reasons a computer should get infected if you run a full computer scan using an anti-virus program. Once a computer is infected with a virus, it usually attaches itself to the system memory. This utilizes resources that could be useful to other important programs within the system, thus slowing the computer’s performance. Spyware, on the other hand, can cause pop-ups or trick you into purchasing their anti-spyware programs. Spyware can also collect user’s personal data without permission. This is why you should stop running a computer speed test and remove them since this puts your data at risk. Spyware can also instruct your device to send destructive emails to your friends, workmates as well as family members. Ensure you install an anti-virus or anti-malware program on your system and scan your computer to eliminate these pesky memory hogs.
- Free up disk space
The Disk Cleanup utility is an incredible method to aid free up space on your hard drive and enhance performance. Disk cleanup tool can:-
- Get rid of temporary internet files(These files takes a lot of your disk’s space)
- Clean up the recycle bin
- Remove unused programs
- Delete Windows Temporary files, like error reports
- Back up files that are never accessed.
- Can also relieve you from running a computer speed test.
- Perform a Disk Defragmentation
Disk fragmentation is one the causes that slow down your computer’s speed thus affecting the overall efficiency of your computer system. During installation and uninstallation as well as storing and removing files spaces are created between the other data on your hard disk. In the long run, this causes new information not to be saved in blocks but in the nooks and corners of your hard disk. To defragment your hard disk is to consolidate these files and folders and make them inhabit a single space on the drive.
Ensure you run Disk Defra when:
- Save a large number of documents on your hard drive
- Free disk space gets 15% or less
- You install new, huge software or a new OS.
Today, there is numerous free disk defrag tools that can be downloaded to perform defragmentation. The most widely used tool is the one that comes with the Windows OS.
- Fix Disk Errors
This is another way that can help to optimize the performance of a hard disk and the entire system. During daily computer operations, the hard disk can develop bad sectors thus restricting it from storing files and also saving data into the hard disk becomes impossible. Most Windows OS comes with an Error Checking utility which can help to scan and fix bad sectors. The following procedure helps to run the utility.
- Stop all active programs and files
- Click the Start button and then open Computer
- In the computer window that opens, right-click the hard drive that you want to run the utility and then click properties
- In the Properties dialog box, select the Tools tab
- Click Check Now button on the Error-Checking this will open a Check Disk dialog box, check the Scan for an attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start
- If the utility finds bad sectors, choose to fix them.
Note that the procedure depends on the type of OS that is installed on the computer. The above procedure is for Windows 7 OS. Still running a computer speed test? Go to the last step.
- Upgrade RAM
Adding more RAM enables the computer to open files faster and allow easier multitasking. Remember every program that is launched, the computer uses RAM. This means running several programs at the same time when the RAM isn’t enough, all the processes will be slow. Today adding more RAM to a computer system is cheaper and it can significantly boost your computer’s performance. The internet has a lot of instructional materials to help upgrade a computer RAM. However, you can take it to an expert to do it for you, although this will cost more than you could have done it yourself.